Friday, February 20, 2009

Steward MacTavish of Scotland

I woke up one morning and found myself Steward of Scotland, a most peculiar experience indeed! It came about as follows.

I was asked by a number of members of the National Assembly to consider taking up one of our Clan's two representative positions within the Assembly so that they could nominate me to become Steward at the end of Korna Fraser's second term. Although I wasn't keen to politik my way to the job, i realised that other people were already doing it. As I tended to trust the people who approached me and we had a vacancy anyway, I put myself forward. In the subsequent poll for Steward, Pebm McKenzie was elected with a majority of one vote over myself. I breathed a sigh of relief.

A short while passed, and then Pebm McKenzie migrated to Ireland upon the formation of the new colony there. Scotland was again without a Steward. This was disappointing and a disconcerting. The Assembly immediately set about chosing a new Steward. I was nominated by one of those who had earlier approached me. There wasn't much opposition. I was elected Steward.

Really really weird, to achieve such an honoured position without saying a word or doing anything but say 'yes'. There must be something right with our system of government that allows one to achieve this without having to argue and stab one's way to the top.

Of course, staying there is another issue ...

No comments: